Charity prepares for Christmas Seaford Blades Associated Charities will be packing Christmas boxes again this year. Last year over 200 area children and their families were given food, toys and gifts for Christmas. Ginny Short, Christmas chairperson, said what is collected will be distributed locally in the Seaford/Blades school district. A food drive will be getting underway in the schools. Peninsula Chiropractic Center and Isorobic Improvement Center are in the process of having their 24th year toy drive for area children. Call 629-4344 for more information. Donations of unwrapped new toys, games and nonperishable items can also be dropped off at 26685 Sussex Hwy. by Dec. 13. Canned goods can be left at Seaford City Hall by Dec. 14. Monetary donations may be mailed to Seaford Blades Associated Charities, 723 Washington Ave., Seaford, DE 19973.
Santa House in Seaford Santa will be at his house in the Lowe's Shopping Center between IHOP and Little Caesar's Pizza to greet area children. He is being sponsored again this year by the Seaford Kiwanis Club in partnership with Hiram Lodge #21 of Seaford. Santa requests that a non-perishable food item be brought with you and placed in the box at his house to help feed the needy in the Seaford community. Santa's schedule will be: Friday and Saturday, Dec. 14 & 15 from 5 to 7 p.m.; Sunday, Dec. 16 from 4 to 6 p.m.; Monday through Saturday - Dec. 17-22 from 5 to 7 p.m.; Sunday, Dec. 23 from 4 to 6 p.m.
Magic Show Join the Nanticoke Rotary Club for a night of magical fun on Friday, Dec. 14 at Central Elementary School at 7 p.m. Admision free to children of all ages.
Basket weaving class Brenda Brasure will offer her popular basket weaving class on Dec. 15 and will run Dec. 22, 29 and Feb. 9, 2013 and Feb. 16. These all day workshops are from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. with one hour for lunch. Cost is $30 with gallery members receiving a 10% discount; kit costs range from $15 to $35. This class is suitable for beginners as well as advanced students. Class size is limited to eight. For more information and to register, call Brenda at 381-6193.
Reciprocity Tea The GFWC-Acorn Club of Seaford is hosting a Reciprocity Tea on Tuesday, Dec. 18, at the Ross Mansion. Co-hostesses for the event are Louise Ellis and Jan Gibson. For more information, contact Sue Ockels at 629-4783.
Seaford Library and Job Center All programs are free and open to the public. For more information, call 629-2524 or visit www.seaford.lib.de.us.
Job Center For more information, visit www.lib.de.us/jobcenter or call the Seaford Job Center at 222-3618.
- Baby Bookworms" is every Tuesday, starting at 10:30 a.m. This program introduces infants through 48 months old to the world of nursery rhymes and books.
- The Creative Art Club" is every 1st Thursday of the Month starting at 4 p.m. This program is for students in 3rd through 6th grade. A local art teacher will teach young artists various art forms through fun and creativity.
- The I Can Read Club" will meet on the 2nd Thursday of each month at 4 p.m. This program is for children in grades K-2nd grade. This is a chance to read great books and discuss them with friends and do a fun craft.
- FIRST Lego League" will meet at the Seaford library and Cultural Center on the 3rd Thursday of each month. This program is for kids ages 9-14. This is a unique international club. Each month is something different, using Legos, science and math. Must register to participate.
- The Pajama Story Hour," a story time with crafts and songs, will meet at the library on the 2nd Thursday of each month at 6 p.m.
- The library will have its Critical Reading Book Discussion" at 6:30 p.m. on Monday, Dec. 17.
- The Friends of the Seaford Library and Cultural Center want your gently used books, CDs, movies, and DVDs. Please drop off all donated items at the old library location on 402 North Porter St. in Seaford (the former library building) through March 2013. You can drop off your donations on the 1st and 3rd Saturdays each month from 9 a.m. to noon and the 1st and 3rd Tuesdays from 2 to 5 p.m. No text books, reference books, encyclopedias or magazines. For more information, call Barbra at 629-7212 or 236-7379.
- The Seaford Library and Cultural Center will be closed on Monday, Dec. 24 and Tuesday, Dec. 25. We will be open for our regular business hours on Wednesday, Dec. 26.
- The Seaford Library and Cultural Center will close at 4 p.m. on Monday, Dec. 31 and closed on Tuesday, Jan. 1, 2013. We will open for our regular business hours on Wednesday, Jan. 2.
- Visit the Open Lab Tuesdays and Thursdays, 1 to 5:30 p.m., to learn how to use a computer, create an email address, find job leads online, fill out an online job application, write a resume, and practice interviews. One-on-one assistance is available through a staff member or volunteer. No registration is required. For more information or to register, call Hope at 222-3618.
- Practice Interview Sessions," by appointment only. If you have a job interview scheduled, we can role play the interview so that you have a chance to practice describing your experience and qualities. For more information or to register, call Hope at 222-3618.
- Stand By Me" from 10 a.m. to noon on Thursday, Dec. 13. Stand By Me is a free one-on-one personal financial coaching program offered by Goodwill of Delaware. It is open to all Delaware residents, regardless of age or income. This session provides an overview of this financial coaching program. For more information or to register, phone Hope at 222-3618.
- Connecting With The Community: Do You Know The Resources Around You?" Tuesday, Dec. 18, 10 to 11 a.m. This workshop will focus on YWCA Delaware's Programs & Services, highlighting the YWCA's Delaware Center for Women's Entrepreneurship (Business Plan Development, Business Coaching and Business Financing). For more information or to register, call Hope at 222-3618.
- Advancement Through Pardons and Expungements" - The APEX program is dedicated to opening opportunities to individuals with criminal histories by helping them through the pardon or expungement process. Assistance will be available by appointment at the Seaford Job Center on Monday, Dec. 17. To schedule an appointment, call Matthew Rosen at 333-7600.
- Introduction to Computers," Intro to MS Word/Excel," Intermediate Excel" and Intermediate Word" - Additional classes will begin in January. For more information or to register, call Hope at 222-3618.
Holiday Decorating Contest Mayor William G. Bennett announces the 2012 Holiday Decorating Contest for the City of Seaford. All residents, within the corporate limits of the City of Seaford, are encouraged to put out their best decorations and compete for cash prizes. The offer is $100 for first place; $75 for second place; and $50 for third place. There is no fee for participation or necessary registration. All residents who decorate the exterior of their homes are eligible to win. The Holiday Decorating Committee will tour the City of Seaford during the evenings of Dec. 14-17 and will select three winners. Those residents selected as winners, will be notified by the Mayor and the awards will be presented at the regular council meeting of Jan. 8, 2013. For more information, contact Trisha Newcomer at 629-9173.
Community Food Drive Mayor William G. Bennett announces a community food drive to serve the local charities and food closets. Boxes will be placed at City Hall for the collection of non-perishable food items. The contents of the boxes will be distributed to our local charities and food closets that service the Seaford area. The boxes will be available for donations until Friday, Dec. 21, at which time the contents will be divided evenly among the local charities. For more information, contact Trisha Newcomer at 629-9173.
MLK prayer breakfast Jan. 21 Western Sussex MLK Day of Celebration will conduct its annual Rise & Shine Prayer Breakfast honoring the late Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., at 8 a.m. on Monday, Jan. 21, 2013. The event will be held at Heritage Shores in Bridgeville. Tickets for the buffet breakfast, which are $20 each, may be purchased by calling 628-1908. Additional information can be found online at www.easternshoreafram.org. This year, the Seaford School District superintendent, educator and author, Dr. Shawn Joseph, will be the keynote speaker. The theme of the 2013 celebration is, Everybody can be greatbecause anybody can serve." The Outstanding Community Recognition Award recipient for 2013 is John Hollis. Hollis is the Sussex manager of community and government affairs and is also a lobbyist for Nemours Health and Prevention Services. Western Sussex MLK Day of Celebration is headed by Seaford City Councilwoman and Western Sussex MLK Day of Celebration Executive Director Pat A. Jones.
Stay & Play Parents As Teachers, Seaford Stay & Play is open to families with children birth through 60 months (prior to kindergarten entry) Thursdays 10:30 a.m. to noon, West Seaford Elementary. Families must pre-register. For details, contact Brenda Villa at 236-9870
Gallery 107 classes Gallery 107 in Seaford is offering the following classes in November. Canvas & Coffee Ongoing - Fridays, 9-11 a.m.; Casual drop in art class - bring your own project or learn how to get started.; no registration required - $5 per session. For more information, call Tammy Kearney at 629-2829. John Schisler - Classical Realism in Oil Ongoing - Mondays, 6-9 p.m.; adults, all levels; members $55, public $65 for three sessions; maximum 8 - Participants of all levels will learn the oil painting techniques of the Dutch Masters through the use of Maroger Medium and will develop skills in basic oil painting using form and color to create compositions working from still life and photographs. Rudelle Fay Hall - Children's Drawing Class - Saturday - 4 hours - Dec. 15, 29, ages 7-10, $40 (register and pay in advance) - Students will use different mediums and learn about famous artists and their style. They will be taught techniques, composition and perspective. Supplies included. Call 302-604-7961 for more information. Nancy LaPrad - Fall Watercolor classes - Wednesdays - 6-8 p.m.; beginners to advanced; members-$50, public-$55; minimum 3, maximum 8 - Nancy will teach you how to use watercolors to get the effects you want - details, textures, color mixing, etc., or you may work on your own project. Call Nancy for more information, 629-4356
Lionel train exhibit The Seaford Museum's Holiday Train Exhibit will feature many of the model trains of Lionel's Golden Age of the early 1950's. The exhibit will close on Sunday, Jan. 20. The Seashore Railroad Club will feature a running new display this year called The Fabulous Fifties." Adults are $3 while children are free with an adult. Come relive this wonderful time in American History Thursday through Sunday afternoons, 1 to 4 p.m., in the Webb Exhibit Room of the Seaford Museum, located in downtown Seaford at 203 High St., in the old post office.
Wednesday Night Bingo Wednesday Night Bingo is held weekly at the Seaford Elks Lodge, on Elks Lodge Road, Seaford. Doors open at 5 p.m. and games begin at 7. Food is available. Must be 18-years-old to play. For more information, call 629-2458.
Money School presentation Edward Jones Financial Advisor Melinda Tingle of Laurel will present a free program, Social Security: Your Questions Answered," at 6 p.m., Tuesday, Jan. 15, 2013, at Laurel Public Library, 101 E. Fourth Street in Laurel. The presentation will tackle the following questions: How does Social Security fit into my retirement income plan? When should I start taking benefits? What about taxes? The presentation is free, but space is limited. To make a reservation, contact Amanda Lowe at 875-0355.
Preschool Story Time Join Miss Tameca every Wednesday at 10:30 a.m. at the Laurel Public Library. Children and their caregivers will enjoy exploring books, music, games and crafts. For details, call 875-3184.
Santa House in Laurel The Independent Order of Oddfellows, Charity Lodge #27 of Laurel will again be hosting the Santa House in Laurel at the Laurel Town Park, at the intersection of 13A and Route 24, in the heart of town. The Santa House is just to the left (west) of the bandstand/gazebo. There is excellent parking right at the park. The house will be open: Friday, Dec. 14 from 6 to 8 p.m.; Saturday, Dec. 15 from 10 a.m. to noon and 6 to 8 p.m.; Friday, Dec. 21 from 6 to 8 p.m.; and Saturday, Dec. 22 from 10 a.m. to noon and 6 to 8 p.m.
Kids Shopping Extravaganza A Kids Shopping Extravaganza will be held from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 15, at Christ the Cornerstone Community Church, corner of Bethel and Seaford roads, Laurel. Kids can choose and purchase gifts for family and friends and enjoy wrapping the gifts themselves. As a special bonus, there will be a visit from Santa. Everyone is invited.
Holiday music program The Laurel Public Library will usher in the 2012 winter season with its annual holiday music program at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 18. This year's program will feature the popular hand bell choir from Centenary United Methodist Church.
Under the direction of Karen Tull, this will be the sixth year that the choir has shared their talents with the greater Laurel community. New to the program this year will be special guest artist Sierra Spicer, a Laurel native who is well known for her lovely vocal abilities. Currently a student at Lynchburg College in Lynchburg Virginia, Sierra has performed in Laurel since her early childhood and will be welcomed back by her many fans. Holiday music will be filling the library as this sellout event returns to usher in the season. The program will be held in the second floor area of the library to accommodate this previously standing room only event. For more information, visit www.laurel.lib.de.us, call 875-3184 or email email@example.com.
Laurel Library events
- An informal time for chess playing continues at Laurel Public Library each Saturday from 10 a.m. -12 noon. Anyone who plays chess is invited to drop in, meet other chess players, and for the time being, bring their own chess boards. For more information call 302-875-3184 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- The monthly knitting workshop held at the Laurel Public Library will not be held in December. Persons interested in learning to knit or wanting help with their skill levels are invited to join the free group on the last Thursday night of the month, starting on January 31, 2013. Size 7 or 8 needles and a skein of worsted weigh yarn will be required. For more information call 302-875-3184 or email email@example.com
- The Laurel Public Library's own Tech Guy, Jack Hall, will be available to answer your questions every Wednesday from 6-7 p.m. and Thursdays from 12:30-1:30 p.m. For details, call 875-3184.
- Holiday craft time is here! Children, ages 5-12, are invited to drop-in for holiday crafts anytime from 10 a.m. - 12 noon on December 26. Adults must attend with children who may need assistance with crafts. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 875-3184.
- The Laurel Public Library presents Popcorn & PJs! On December 27, the whole family is invited to come watch a family friendly movie in their pajamas! Ice Age: Continental Drift (Rated PG) will be shown at 2 p.m. and Arthur Christmas (Rated PG) will be shown at 6 p.m. The event is free and popcorn will be provided. For more information, email email@example.com or call 875-3184.
Relay for Life fundraiser Laureate Epsilon Chapter, Beta Sigma Phi sorority, is holding an ongoing fundraiser at Laurel Pizzaria to benefit Relay for Life. This event takes place on the third Tuesday of each month from 5 to 8 p.m. Pick up one of the flyers at the register upon entering the restaurant and then turn it in with your bill. Laureate Epsilon will automatically receive 10% of the check to benefit Relay For Life. For more information, call 228-5800.
Breakfast with Santa The Delmar Fire Department will hold its annual Breakfast with Santa from 8 to 10:30 a.m. on Saturday, Dec. 15, at the fire hall. This event is free and open to the public.
Holiday Train Show celebration The DelMarVa Model Railroad Club will hold a celebration of the 27th anniversary of its free Holiday Train Show, Open House and Sale in Delmar at 103 State St. Visit on Saturday, Jan. 5, 2013 from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday, Jan. 6 from noon to 5 p.m. or Saturday, Jan. 12 from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday, Jan. 13 from noon to 5 p.m. There is over 6,000 sqf of trains (10 layouts), hundreds of items for sale, games, giveaway, food and prizes. Bring your family and friends. For more information, visit www.delmarvamodelrailroadclub.org.
'Delmar Goes Hollywood' gala Delmar Goes Hollywood on Saturday, Feb. 23, 2013, during the Foundation for Delmar Education's community gala. The gala will take place from 7 p.m. to midnight at the Delmar Fire Hall. The event will feature a night of entertainment with heavy hors d'oeuvres, a cash bar, silent and live auctions and a raffle. Attire is semi-formal.
Dinner Club The Greenwood Cheer Activity Center hosts a Dinner Club every Thursday night at 5 p.m. Cost is $5 for members and $6 for non-members. Join us for an evening of dinner, socialization, cards, indoor shuffleboard and bocce ball. Non-members should call 349-5237 for reservations.
GVFC Craft Show Craft Show at the Greenwood Volunteer Fire Company on Dec. 15 from 10am-2pm. Proceeds to benefit the fire hall. Over 25 tables of Christmas shopping and lunch available for purchase.
Christmas movie On Friday, Dec. 14, at 6:30 p.m., the Greenwood Public Library invites families to gather for a delightful, rated G, family Christmas movie to be shown at the local VFW Post 7874. Bring a beverage and enjoy homemade cookies provided by the members of the Friends of the Greenwood Library. For more information about the movie, call Donna or Rebekah at 349-5309. The Greenwood VFW Post 7874 is located on the corner of Mill Street and Governors Avenue in Greenwood.
Bridgeville Public Library The following events will be held at the Bridgeville Public Library: Fundraiser - We are raffling off a beautifully framed print, Master Bedroom" by Andrew Wyeth donated by Bud Snyder from Snyder Custom Framing in Seaford. Tickets are $1 each and available at the library. Lap Sit - Lap Sit on Wednesdays at 10 a.m. for ages 3 months to 2 years. Lapsit is on hiatus from through Jan. 8. Story time - Tues. at 11 a.m. for ages 2-4 and Thurs. at 11 a.m. for ages 4-6. Family Nights - Third Tuesday of each month from 6:30 to 8 p.m. Teens are invited to join Ms. Jonnell in the Teen Area for crafts and games during this time. Teen Programming - Join us on Tuesday, Dec. 18 for book discussions. Book titles are available at the library. Recent Reads Join us for a group discussion of your favorite recent read. Participants are encouraged to attend and share their latest literary favorite. Genealogy Discussion Group - Our Genealogy Discussion Group meets on the third Wednesday of each month at 10:30 a.m. Join us to discuss, research, and enjoy genealogy.
Ballet Nutcracker performance Delaware Dance Alliance presents, Ballet Nutcracker, at 3 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 22, at Woodbridge High School. Tickets are $12 for adults and $6 for students/seniors. Tickets can be purchased at First State Academy of Dance by calling 302-422-2633, by visiting www.brownpapertickets.com, or at the door.
Holiday activities at Union UMC The Christmas Musical Program will be held at 10 a.m. on Sunday, Dec. 16, in the sanctuary. There will be Christmas songs by the adult choir, Jubilee Ringers, Joyful Ringers and Stix. There will be one service with no nursery, Sunday school or children's church. A luncheon will follow the program in Fellowship Hall. Join us for the Christmas Eve Service at 6 p.m. on Monday, Dec. 24. There will be Holy Communion.
Holy Land Experience AARP 915 is offering a trip to Orlando, Fla. for a Holy Land Experience, Feb. 24 through March 2, 2013. Visit Holy Land, ancient Jerusalem recreated in Orlando, Morse Museum, Tiffany Chapel and Bok Tower Gardens. Cost is $530/double occupancy. To reserve a spot, call Lucille at 410-754-8588 or 410-754-8189 today.
Seaford AARP offers trips Seaford AARP is offering the following trips in 2013. Wednesday, March 6 - Dutch Apple Dinner Theatre in Lancaster, Pa. to see an excellent comedy about a cab driver who has two wives and how he manages to keep it a secret - for a while, that is! Cost is $104 per person. Wednesday, April 17 - Sight & Sound to see Noah," which depicts the story of Noah and the Ark from the Bible. This is an excellent musical that features singing, dancing, and hundreds of live animals. Cost is $108 per person for show and dinner at Hershey Farms Restaurant. Be sure to sign up early. For more information on these day trips, contact Rose at 629-7180.
USPS meeting United States Power Squadron (USPS) meets at the Nanticoke River Yacht Club on the third Thursday of each month at 7 p.m. For details, contact C.M. Kohlenberg at 629-0687 or Rob Hutton at 628-0312.
Sussex Bird Club Meeting Sussex Bird Club meeting will be at 2 p.m. at Cadbury in Lewes (on Gills Neck Rd. just east of the High School). Come and hear how you can become involved in the Delaware BayShore Initiative.
Friends of the Library Members of the community are invited to attend meetings of the Friends of the Laurel Library on the second Tuesday of each month at 2 p.m. in the Carpenter Room at the library.
MOAA meets in Lewes The Southern Delaware Chapter of the Military Officers Association of America (MOAA) meets from noon to 1:30 p.m., the third Tuesday of each month at Irish Eyes Pub and Restaurant, 213 Anglers Rd., Lewes.
9-12 group meeting Join us at the 9-12 Delaware Patriots Sussex County Chapter meeting from 7 to 9 p.m. on Thursday, Jan. 10, 2013, at the Millsboro Fire Hall, 109 E. State St. The 9-12 Delaware Patriots is a grass roots organization that meets monthly and features guest speakers and networking with other conservative citizens. Meetings are free and open to the public. For more information, visit www.912delawarepatriots.com or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Widowed Persons meeting The Seaford Chapter of the Widowed Persons Service will have its next meeting at 12:15 p.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 18, at the Georgia House in Laurel. There will be a Christmas program. Please bring your unwrapped toy and/or canned goods for the Associated Charities. All widowed persons of all ages are invited to attend. Come by and join us. We enjoy trips, lunches, dinners, etc. together.
Coast Guard Auxiliary The Seaford U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary Flotilla 12-08 meets the second Thursday of each month at the station at the Nanticoke Marina and Yacht Club in Blades. For details, call Art Wollschlager at 628-8259 or email email@example.com.
Young Professional Writers This writers group is designed for 13 to 30-year-olds who are serious about becoming professional writers. Meetings will be held from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. every second Monday of the month at the Laurel Public Library. For details, visit www.laurel.lib.de.us/, call 875-3184 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Laurel Cub Scouts meet Laurel Cub Scouts meet at 6:30 p.m. on Mondays at Centenary United Methodist Church in Laurel. The Cub Scout program is open to boys ages 6 to 12. New recruits may sign up on a 3 month trial basis for $10. For more information about the program, contact Cub Master Clifford Alpert at 228-2390 or email@example.com.
Sussex County Marines Marine Corps League Detachment #780, Devil Dog Detachment, meets the first Thursday of each month at 6:30 p.m., at the VFW Virgil Wilson Post 4961, Middleford Road, Seaford.
Country Breakfast Buffet The Galestown Ruritan Club Country Breakfast Buffet is held the last Sunday of the month through May from 7 to 10 a.m., at the Galestown Community Center. The buffet includes eggs, scrapple, sausage, pancakes, potato casserole, hominy, biscuits, toast, fruit cup and sticky buns. The community center is located at 5538 Old School House Rd., at the intersection with Galestown-Reliance Road in Galestown.
Breakfast buffet Eldorado-Brookview Volunteer Fire Dept. will hold a breakfast buffet the third Sunday of each month from 7 to 11 a.m. on Dec. 16. The menu includes pancakes, eggs cooked to order, omelets, bacon, scrapple, sausage, toast, biscuits, cream chipped beef, potatoes, fruit cocktail, milk, orange juice and coffee. The fire department is located at 5752 Rhodesdale-Eldorado Rd., Rhodesdale, Md. For info, call 410-943-4004.
Ham/Turkey Shoot Schedule The schedule for the 2012-2013 Ham/Turkey Shoot at the Georgetown/Ellendale VFW has been released. Sign up starts at 10:30 a.m. and shooting at 11 a.m. Refreshments will be available for sale by the VFW. Dates are: Dec. 22, Jan. 26, Feb. 23, March 23, April 27. Rain dates are Dec. 29, Feb. 2, March 2, March 30 and May 4. If rain dates are cancelled, the schedule will go to the next shoot. For possible cancellations, call 349-7025.
Holiday Train Show The Delaware Seaside Railroad Club and the Georgetown Public Library are presenting a Holiday Train Show on Saturday, Dec. 15, at 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. If your group or organization would like to make arrangements to see the exhibit at another time, contact the library at 856-7958 or firstname.lastname@example.org.