Police investigating murder of father of robbery suspect father's murder

By Tony E. Windsor

Laurel Police have made a second arrest in the recent "Craigslist" robberies and assaults which occurred in late March. In two incidents that occurred at Wexford Village, Laurel, victims were assaulted and robbed at gunpoint after they answered a classified ad regarding the sale of two used cars posted on the world wide website "Craigslist." On Friday night, April 23, police responded to an anonymous tip that a suspect wanted in connection with the Craigslist robberies, Scott Thompson, of Laurel, was at a residence in the 700 block of Elm Street. According to Sgt. Derrick Callaway of the Laurel Police, officers responded to the home and arrested Thompson without incident. He was charged with first degree robbery and possession of a deadly weapon during the commission of a felony. He was jailed on a $90,000 cash bond. At the same time police were arresting Thompson in connection with the robberies, Delaware State Police considered him "a person of interest" in the murder of his father, Raymond Elzey, 40, of Laurel which occurred on Thursday, April 22 at about 8 p.m.

According to state police, Elzey was found dead in his home in the 600-block of Eighth Street. Police initially labeled the incident a "suspicious death." However, on Saturday afternoon, Sgt. Callaway confirmed that the man had died of a gunshot wound. He also confirmed that the victim is Thompson's father and state police were questioning Thompson on Friday evening after his arrest by Laurel Police. On Saturday afternoon Sgt. Walter Newman of the Delaware State Police, said there had been no charges filed in the incident. Laurel Police initially responded to the murder scene Friday evening, but turned the investigation over to the Delaware State Police Homicide Unit, according to Callaway. At the time of the Craigslist robberies at Wexford Village, Police also announced that they were seeking 18-year-old Katie Miller of Laurel as a second suspect. On April 8, Miller turned herself into police and was charged with first-degree robbery, second-degree conspiracy and possession of a weapon during the commission of a felony. Miller who is pregnant, was released on $21,000 secured bond.

News tips wanted
Call us with ideas for news and features. We're always looking for good stories to share with readers. Call Bryant Richardson at 629-9788.